Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Internal USB hub, has anyone installed and USED it? - 05-17-2009, 06:14 PM

I want to place in a internal USB hub and scoured this forum and the internet to try find someone who has done it and actually USED it.

So far I found this guy

Awooga!!! » Modding the Dell Mini 9

But I want to minimize soldering with new usb devices so I wanted to put in a hub more like this one

UltraMobileGeek by ThoughtFix: Adding Internal USB (and internal ReadyBoost) to a UMPC

I want to use the usb hub to add fast usb thumb drive (30mb/s), a nano receiver for my wireless mouse, etc. etc..

Just wondering has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance
  (#2) Old

Default 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM

You can order just the controller for touchscreen kit from Fidohub to use 3 USB ports onboard, it's all plug-in, no soldering. I added two 16GB microSDHC cards to mine, again all plug-in, no soldering or disassembly for parts:

Solderless touchscreen

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP
  (#3) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 01:13 AM

I've got a 4 port hub soldered in and currently use it for two 8gig flash drives and a wireless mouse/keypad controller.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgle View Post
I've got a 4 port hub soldered in and currently use it for two 8gig flash drives and a wireless mouse/keypad controller.
Which hub are you using and are you plugging the drives or soldering the connection to save space? Thanks
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default 05-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Five or ten minutes of web research will uncover many many MANY people who have done this.
It's a very popular modification.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#6) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
Which hub are you using and are you plugging the drives or soldering the connection to save space? Thanks
I don't recall the manufacturer. It was one of those "octopus" style hubs via ebay. Everything is soldered in.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM

I have not been able to find an affordable solderless solution.
The Touch screen's USB hub is $40, and a little too much for my current budget.

Any other solderless ideas?
  (#8) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Where did you guys buy your EETI solderless hubs? Ebay I guess right? Anyone knnow a good seller that is selling just the hub?
  (#9) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd223 View Post
Where did you guys buy your EETI solderless hubs? Ebay I guess right? Anyone knnow a good seller that is selling just the hub?
Email the seller of the touchscreen. They will sell it to you separately. Install is straight forward, but you will have the motherboard out. I currently have a 16gb Kingston Datatraveler 101 installed next to the hub. I removed the housing and wrapped it in electrical tape. It just fits, but it works great!

Black Mini 9 32gb Super Talent Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram 16gb SDHC Class 6 16gb Kingston internal USB Windows 7 build 7229 vlite Intel 5300-3 antennas-SOLD
Black Mini 10v 6 Cell 80gb Sata Kingston HYPERX 2Gb ram Windows XP-SOLD
Purple Inspiron 11z SU4100 Intel 5300 wifi Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 60gb OCZ Vertex LE SSD
Blue Inspiron 101z Dual Core 500GB HDD
  (#10) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 05:41 AM

Either email on the Fidohub web site or email question via the "Easy and Fun" touchscreen Dell Mini 9 eBay ongoing auction. I got much faster response asking questions using eBay connection.

Be very clear and simple about what you want so not lost in translation. Remember you need power cable to controller and USB cable for each socket on controller you intend to use (3 available) to factor into total cost quote.

They charge $25 shipping, but it's two-day International Fed-X so very fast receiving.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP

Tags
hub, internal, storage, usb

« Tv Out | MM60 Connector onto EU850 WWAN for DM9 »