Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by goodstuff3 View Post
if you seek more power, perhaps a mini 9 is not for you ^^
I think we are going to all have to live with choppy flash HD (Like Hulu and MLB) with the atom processors. I think the only fix for this is to upgrade to a Core processor laptop like the MacBook Air, Lenovo U110, or HP dv2z series. I know they are bigger and more expensive, but the real problem is that Flash is a CPU hog and isn't accelerated by the graphics chipset. I don't thing the Nvidia ION will help this.
  (#12) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 09:04 PM

the flash plugin is just plain coded badly. if was woefully choppy on my 1.2ghz ibook g4. it is would regularly use 100% processor. if macromedia got their stuff together it might just be usuable on low power devices.

Vostro A90 - 1/16gb osX 10.5.7

Get Dropbox:
  (#13) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Why do people would want a monster processor in a minitop like the 9? It defeats the whole concept of low power consumption and simplicity of hardware. The mini 9 runs all 3 major OS wonderfully (MacOS, Linux and Win7). If you need movies "on the go" then encode them in iTouch format (one DVD usually takes 1GB encoded) and they look nice in the tiny 9" LCD. If you need to run an application that needs more processing power I'd say get a Laptop!

(#14) Old
Default Fix your flash, dont upgrade! - 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM

I have an easy fix (or work-around rather) for the flash debacle. Get powerstrip if your running windows, and set a hot key for 640x480. At this point your basically at native resolution and the computer doesnt have to work nearly as hard to scale the video (where the choppy-ness comes in). I now have 480p from hulu playing FLAWLESSLY with this ghetto bandaid fix.

Vostro A90: 16GB stock SSD, soon to be 2GB ram!

OSX 10.5.6 , Win XP PRO SP3, Puppy LINUX 4.2
  (#15) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 01:31 AM

If you have the stock STEC hdd you should consider upgrading to the runcore its much faster in writing data. the game uses cache memory that is held on the hdd

« how tight was the SSD screwed on? | Upgrade? »