Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
Default Quick swapping a Mini 9 motherboard? - 05-02-2009, 01:11 PM

How long does it take and is it difficult to swap out a motherboard? I got a friend who's getting a Windows-based Mini 9, and it might come with a WWAN slot, so I don't want to put him out too long without his toy.

Or should I give him mine and just swap out the RAM and SSD? The only problem is that he might not have the 1.3MP webcam or the Bluetooth module.

Which direction is easier?

Black Mini 9 2GB 64GB BT 2.1 1.3MP 802.11g XP SP3 OSX 10.5.7 DellEFI 1.1 MBR A05
Read my guide on How to Dual-boot OS X and Windows from the DellEFI Method!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Quick swapping a Mini 9 motherboard? - 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM

It's not hard but you must be careful when removing the little cables from the connectors.
Other than that it's just a bunch of screws. Make sure you check where each screw goes because some of them have different sizes.

Check the other computer, if the camera is 1.3 and there is BT then just swap ssd/ram, if not then swap the mb but remember your service tag will be different.

(#3) Old
Default Re: Quick swapping a Mini 9 motherboard? - 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM

If I could make a recommendation, make sure the motherboard, base, and palmrest stay together. There are a few reasons for this. For one, the thermal pads should be replaced, but at the least you should keep the used ones mated to the same components. Second, this keeps the service tag correct with the motherboard (as mentioned above)

It is an easy project, but take your time and go slow.

BTW, unless he paid more, chances are he didnt get a wwan port.

« inspiron 1525 webcam problems | Suggestion for 64GB usb key PLZ. »