Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default 07-27-2009, 06:41 AM

purely subjective:

my g.skill 2gb ram cas4 went bad. i kept getting beeps. lucky for me, we have a lenovo ideapad s10 that is not really being used anymore that i upgraded to 2gb ram (pny cas5 timing)

i emailed g.skill and got an rma within a day. awesome support from g.skill!

being the procastinator that i am, i ran on the pny for about 3 weeks. i noticed delays. not extreme lags, like when i ran with 1gb in the beginning when i first bought the mini 9, but noticeable lags switching between tabbed windows on firefox or switching between apps. more noticeable in xp than in os x.

usual applications running in win xp: 7 tabbed firefox windows. 2 tabbed ie windows. 1 java chat applet. skype. yahoo messenger. mcafee av.

usual applications running in os x: 7 tabbed firefox windows. skype. yahoo messenger.

when i got the replacement g.skill 2gb, i actually got used to the lags and thought it was normal. i put the 2gb ram about a week ago, and instantly noticed the difference. same apps everyday, only difference is the ram.

i wished there wasn't a difference, because now, i'm curious if the kingston hyper-x cas3 will produce a noticeable difference. it's gonna cost me money to find out i'll stick with the g.skill for now, until i can't resist anymore and go for the hyper-x.

off-topic: this replacement g.skill seems to run cooler. i suspect that the original g.skill went bad because it was always running hot and may have overheated.

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]

« 2x2GB on my Dell Mini 9s | Compatible SSD? »