Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Removing Solderless Touch Screen ... Be Very Careful - 04-20-2009, 08:50 PM

I've installed the solderless touch screen I purchased on eBay. It worked well and it was fun. However, its novelty wore off, and I decided to remove it. Also, I did not like the slight "haziness" that reduced the contrast little (I was being picky ).

The screen is attached to the LCD frame using a thin double sided tape. When I tried to remove the touch screen, I was careful and only applied a small force. But I ended up cracking the screen and taking the touch screen pieces at a time (ouch :cry: ). It is very fragile and easy to crack. I had to use an exact-o knife to ply off the touch screen from the LCD metal. Fortunately, I did not damage the LCD during the process. Only couple of small scratches. I think it is caused by some glass debris from the broken touch screen.

It wasn't a total loss. I ended up with the internal USB hub that came with the touch screen kit.

If you are thinking about removing the touch screen, be very very very careful. Otherwise, like me, you will end up with $100 internal USB hub with no way of getting back to touch screen.

2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SDD, WinXP Home, Mac OS 10.5.6, touch screen, Dell 1505 a/b/g/n
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Removing Solderless Touch Screen ... Be Very Careful - 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM

I received defective touchscreen kit, and pleaded my case for getting both a replacement controller board along with touchscreen. After a few exchanges, they sent me both. I was dreading removing installed touchscreen for this very reason, and fortunately turned out to be controller, not touchscreen at all. This thread also discusses actual successful USB internal drives I managed to cram into what little space there is left inside Mini 9:

The foam tape adhering the touchscreen seems very aggressive and placed very near edges of LCD, a recipe for disaster.

FidoHub certainly will offer to sell a replacement touchscreen, my guess would be $60 plus shipping. Something to consider.

I no longer miss the very slight degraded LCD brilliance.

Black Mini 9 (free with DSL package) | 2GB Patriot RAM | 32GB RunCore | 16GB Transcend 6 SDHC | TWO internal 16GB microSDHC on USB controller | EETI Touchscreen | Windows XP
  (#3) Old
Thumbs down 08-19-2009, 10:16 PM

I would like to give this a bump.

I installed mine without issue. However, I noticed a speck of dirt that was driving me crazy. I was very carfeul not to dirty the LCD or touchscreen during installation. I decided to remove the touchscreen to get rid of the speck of dirt. The double-sided tape is just too strong and I ended up shattering the touchscreen.

Turns out the speck of dirt was with the touchscreen from the factory. It was caught between the touchscreen and the screen protector that is over it.

« Upgrading Dell Mini 9 for Hackintosh? 10v? | Hoda Touch Screen on Linux »