Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Dell Mini9 Ubuntu Hardware Upgrade Cost/Benefit - 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm an Ubuntu and Dell Mini 9 newbie. I've read lots of the posts here about upgrading both RAM and SSD. If I'm going to stick with Ubuntu, would an upgrade from 512 Mb ram and 4 Gb SSD make that big a difference in performance? I've been using the Mini for email, web browsing and note taking in meetings (OpenOffice Write). It seems to perform as I'd expect in these tasks. It looks to me like the cost of both upgrades would be about $100-$120 USD, not counting time/effort required to clone the SSD. Thank you for your helpful advice.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini9 Ubuntu Hardware Upgrade Cost/Benefit - 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM

I purchased a base Mini 9 with Ubuntu, 512MB of RAM, and a 4GB SSD, so I have a few thoughts on your situation.

I've upgraded to 2GB of RAM, but I don't think it's made my Mini any faster. I just use the extra RAM for storing files on a RAM disk. I like being able to download files to RAM, manipulate them, and then delete them when unneeded, without ever touching the SSD.

If you find a deal on 2GB of RAM (I'll have paid $10 once my rebate comes through), why not pick some up? It won't hurt. But since your programs aren't running out of RAM now, there's no need to rush and overpay.

As for the SSD, I'd like to upgrade to a larger and faster one, but I'm not sure it's a good value. Especially, since I've been happy with the speed of my 4GB SSD. And the SSD's small size isn't a problem, since I use SD cards for storing documents/videos/music/etc.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini9 Ubuntu Hardware Upgrade Cost/Benefit - 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM

The extra RAM is certainly worth the 20 bucks, no question about it. It's not a night and day difference but there is an improvement, especially if you use a RAM disk.

As for the SSD, it really depends on what type of media you'll be working with. Out of the box, with the Dell version of Ubuntu, I had less than 700mb of free space. I wiped my SSD clean and installed the standard 8.10 copy and freed up roughly 1.5 GB of space. I spent most of that downloading software and updates from the repositories, but if you're working with just documents for note taking, you'll be fine, especially with a quality SDHC card.

« Different Quality LCDs Windows/Ubuntu?? | 9-cell battery from Dell? »