Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM

I am wanting to mod my Mini9 with an Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver. This would allow my to use my 360 Wireless controllers for emulated gaming, and the Wireless Headset for Ventrilo and such.

After taking it out of it's housing and placing it in the Mini9 to see if it would even fit, I found that I fits almost perfectly. There is a slight flex put on the receiver board when you close the Mini9 up since the white USB connector is just a bit too high. That said, the flexing is minimal and the panel on the Mini9 closes up and remains that way without issue.

I assumed I could folow the instructions of the GPS mod for the wiring, but I discovered that I have a couple problems.

A.) I have no idea what wires serve what function on this.

B.) There are five wires opposed to four that is on the gps mod. EDIT: A friend has told me the fifth black wire is unused and acts as shielding.

If anyone has already tried this or otherwise has any advice for me I would be greatly appreciative!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - Seeking Advice - 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM

the extra wire is a ground, probably just runs to the shield. The colors appear standardized, and are in the correct order. Should be good to go.
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - Seeking Advice - 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM

That's a great idea. That might be my first mod as well, although I would try it with a different controller and USB receiver. I bought a Logitech Rumblepad 2 specifically for Mame gaming on the Mini, but it's receiver comes with a LONG USB cable. The receiver itself isn't that big however -- maybe half the size of the 360's receiver.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - Seeking Advice - 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I should be good to go then. I will post back with my results once I have had time to give it a go.

Thanks again!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - Seeking Advice - 04-25-2009, 07:17 PM

im pretty sure the only problem would be syncing the controllers... you would have to rewire the button and put it on the case in order to sync the controllers,unless you wanted to open your case everytime you had to sync a new one. I know its not that big of a deal, just a thought though
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM

Using acabtp's GPS mod instructions I was able to get this up and going over the weekend.

As far as the connect button is concerned, I don't keep the screws in the access panel since it seems to snap together quite firmly.

Thanks again for the advice regarding my initial questions and for the numerous guides available in other threads!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM

awesome mod, never even thought about it until you posted.

how tight is it? bending anything?

Wife's: Dell Mini 12/60gb/1.3mp webcam/BT/Windows 7 RC
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM

The wireless receiver itself is mounted such that one end slides underneath the plastic in the center next to the 802.11 card, and on the other end is slid under the lower left bit of plastic that sticks out along the cable routing for the 802.11 antennas. Doing this, the white connector on the 360 receiver is the highest point on the board (note: I did flatten the cable going into said conenctor a bit) and it does come into contact with the access panel and will cause the 360 receiver to flex a very marginal amount. Not enough that I would worry about it though.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Found this for the Hackintosh owners...

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Projec ... /OsxDriver

"I have created a USB driver which allows you to use wired XBox 360 Controllers via USB, and wireless XBox 360 Controllers via the Microsoft Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, on your OSX machine, including support for the Apple Force Feedback library."
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Mod - SUCCESS! - 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM

I just had to post in this thread to say you did an awesome job.

As has been said, the only thing I'd liked to have seen was rerouting the sync button...but if you don't use the controller that often, popping the bottom cover off to press it isn't difficult at all.

« Which netbook cooler do you use? (if applicable) | Internal Logitech Nano Receiver Modification »