Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator
Default Possible Heat Issues - 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM

I just upgraded to a 32 GB Super Talent drive yesterday. I promptly installed XP Home and Windows 7. Everything seemed to go fine.

When I got home, I did a recovery on my XP Home partition from a backup I took. I noticed that the device had really gotten quite warm...more like hot. I had launched a temp application that I had seen mentioned here and discovered that it had been running around 45 deg C. I was also having some performance issues, and based on perfmon, the disk queues were maxed, so it was like it was trying to play catch up, although I am not sure to what.

I had ended up shutting down and pulled the cover off, and it seemed like the RAM was the hottest, but the SSD was fairly warm too.

My question is a) is this relatively normal? and b) what is really the upper limit for the temperature? I don't want to be frying anything, especially on something that doesn't have a fan.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Possible Heat Issues - 04-16-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm running Linux, so I'm not sure the method I'm using to measure CPU temp is comparable to Windows, but here goes.

When I run "cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature", I get "temperature: 53 C", which seems perfectly normal to me. I've seen it run cooler (in the 40's) and, 100% CPU gets me to past 60 degrees C. I think my Core 2 Duo laptop runs similar temps.

Running "cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/trip_points" gives me:
critical (S5):           102 C
passive:                 95 C: tc1=0 tc2=10 tsp=5 devices=CPU0 CPU1
I believe that means the computer will cripple the CPU at 95 degrees C, and perform an emergency shutdown at 102 degrees C. So, 45 degrees C shouldn't damage the CPU.

As for the SSD temp, you could try running a tool to read the SMART data and see if the SSD reports its temp. But I also expect that SSDs can run hotter than hard drives without issue.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« A04 BIOS is here... | Post your audio equip for your dm9 »