Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#21) Old
Default Re: 70mm SSD possibility - 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by gospeed.racer
Companies like Supertalent and Runcore build the faster drives for other machines because the machines accept them- the sata vs pata interface is why we are seeing the huge speed differences. Dell kinda hosed us, where the EEE people can go both ways. I know pata in other devices can handle much more speed than we are seeing, but sata is also capable of much more than we see out of those drives. It is unfortunately a fight that we cannot win with the hardware we have. Not to say something wont come out eventually, but so far we are just kinda stuck.
@gospeed.racer: Dell didn't hose us on the hardware, they ***ked us on the BIOS! At the moment I'm looking into modding the BIOS to "wake up" the sleeping AHCI beast inside, but SATA is possible on this board. Phoenix BIOS are difficult to mod, but I am working toward making it reality. For anyone unaware of this (Inspiron 910) board's hardware:
MCH (Northbridge): i945GME Express and datasheet
ICH (Southbridge): 82801GBM ICH7-M and datasheet (very informative)

Remember, the drives interface to the Inspiron 910 through mini-PCIe much the same as you would plug in a PCI SATA/Ultra ATA controller card to your desktop board. So the "trick" is to enable SATA/AHCI in the BIOS, and for those of us who don't to go the 70mm route, a 50mm SATA SSD (anyone know if these exist?). If I have to use a 70mm, I'll probably go the 90 degree route (can't bring my self to take a grinder to my precious 910).

Mini910 = 512MB mem/8GB SSD/N270@1.6GHz/Broadcom Wireless(p/n N204H) BIOS A05; WindowsXP Pro SP3/ hosts file : I look at the interweb, but the interweb don't look at me. Opera 10 is coming 8-) Can your browser pass the Acid test?

« adding the dealextreme bt mod | Mini 10 keyboard on a Mini 9? »