Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 02:39 AM

I've been trying to get the stock wireless card out of my Mini 9 so that I can stick in a 802.11n card with no luck, and thanks to some extra clumsy fingers I managed to strip the screw in the process.

Does anyone have any tips for getting this screw out of the system without destroying the motherboard? I'm assuming the screw itself is garbage now and have been told to use a drill, but I'm terrified (for obvious reasons) to take a drill to the system.

Is there any other way to get the screw out, or should I just bite the bullet and drill into the screw?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 02:47 AM

My friend stripped a screw in his new Acer Aspire One (haha for needing to rip the entire thing apart to change the RAM). He had to drill it out, but it was just a case screw, so i'm not sure if it's safe enough for your position.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 03:27 AM

drilling is the usual way to take out a stripped screw. but since its close to the card that would require uber still hands. i would try and get a cheap screw driver and super glue or jbweld the screw driver to the screw. you might have to hold it there for quite a while before it dries. but once something like jbweld dries its pretty strong. this method is prob also pretty sketchy since the screws are so small and you wouldnt want to get it onto the card.

you could also try and buy a pair of mini needle nose vice grips and griplock the edges of the screw and torque away. all of these options are quite sketchy because of the delicate nature of circuit boards and whatnot, but hopefully some of these ideas will lead you to one that will work out for you.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 03:41 AM

you could try a dremel tool to cut a slot in the head and then use a straight edge screwdriver to remove it.

Mini-9 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB RunCore | 1.3 Mp Webcam
  (#5) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 03:44 AM

Not a drill but a dremmel tool. You can convert the screw into a flathead and unscrew. Search the forum for dremel.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Go with the Dremel.

The item one would normally use with a drill is an easyout probably an ezout in the US!

Personally I'd use a needle file and go for the flat head solution or jam a torx into the head and give it some wellie - it's no big deal either way.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 01:14 PM

The problem with using the dremel is that metal filings will be thrown into your case.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Heed's right about not using the power tool 'cos of the filings - go on the needle file to cut the slot.

Or what I've done many times is get some expensive side cutters and just grab the screw head as if you're using snipe nosed pliers and unscrew it.

Next time use better tools and don't mix up pozi's and philips heads!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM

While replacing my SSD, I managed to strip a screw. I used the Dremel approach to remove the stripped screw, as the screw head was above the level of the PC board. I used strips of cardboard to keep the filings out of the computer, and they worked well. You could also use plastic wrap, duct tape, etc -- whatever your level of paranoia calls for

The Dremel worked like a champ. I was surprised at how little cutting it took, and how little effort it took to remove the screw with the flat bladed screwdriver when the slot was cut - I guess that a screw made of metal soft enough to strip that easily is also going to be easily cut with a Dremel. Have a magnifier on hand when working, or try the screwdriver in the slot frequently while cutting.

Whenever you are cutting metal, keep in mind that you will get metal filings, whether you use a hand file, drill or Dremel. Always mask off the electronics to keep the filings in check, and consider running a magnet over the area afterward.

The opening in the bottom of these mini laptops is pretty small. Most hand files are going to be difficult to use in the enclosed area you will have, whereas the Dremel needs only enough space to fit the cutting disk.

-- Bill
  (#10) Old

Default Re: How to remove stuck / stripped screw? - 03-27-2009, 03:37 PM

The screws heads are so shallow, its easy to see how they will strip easily. I have some for sale in the for sale forum, but if the OP shoots me a PM I will send him a pair for his troubles. Mine have a much deeper socket, so the driver will actually grip.

selling-mini-9-upgrade-ssd-screws-t5492.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a

« Can a Dell mini 9 charger charge Vostro A90 battery, or vise versa | 4 gb ram? »