Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default impressions on My Ram and 32Gb Runcore Update - 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Hello All,

I purchased the 199 special mini with 512 ram and a 4Gb SSD in Feb. The 1st thing I did was to purchase 2 GB of Ram and installed it the 1st day, so I cannot really comment on any difference in performance from 512. I also ordered a 32Gb runcore SSD and settled in to wait. While waiting I install Ubuntu 8.10 on my mini and ran that for awhile, also eventually installed XP Pro. Both ran but the performance of the 4Gb SSD was frustrating. When on the web I would consistently have dead time in my browser whether it was firefox or ie 6. Applications would also freeze up and I would be forced to sit and wait for things to catch up.

Needless to say I was happy when my new drive arrived. I was planning on dual booting XP pro and Ubuntu 8.10. So I installed XP first. Installing the drive went fine, and with my experiments of installing xp from a flash drive on the 4GB, I was able to get XP up and running. From my research into ssd I knew the initial performance would not be indicative of the the real world, but it was none the less impressive to say the least. After XP I installed Ubuntu onto a 10GB partition and left 20Gb for XP. It has now been close to 2 weeks living with my upgrade. I have not done any benchmarks, there are already plenty of them out there, but I can give you my impressions.

The system boots fast, xp seems to boot a little faster than ubuntu but the difference is minimal. No significant stuttering at this time. No dead time with any web browser, or when running apps. The entire experience has been positive and I would recommend the runcore 32Gb without reservation. It was pricey but it seems to be worth it.

I would be interested in hearing how the other 32Gb SSD,s are working out in real life, as long as we can keep from getting into a pissing contest about how "my SSD is better than yours". Thanks in advance
  (#2) Old
Default Re: impressions on My Ram and 32Gb Runcore Update - 03-26-2009, 06:29 PM

I am in the same boat as you right now, stuck with a 4 GB STEC SSD and 2 GB of Memory. Waiting on a 32 GB Runcore drive. I have major lags here and there, I am trying to find a utility for ubuntu for disk benchmark to see the numbers I am getting.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: impressions on My Ram and 32Gb Runcore Update - 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM

I, too, have a 4GB STEC and 2GB of main memory, and waiting on my 32GB Runcore. I'm getting some stuttering with Firefox in Ubuntu 8.04, but overall, I really am enjoying the Mini. Hoping that the Runcore removes the stuttering... I, too, would like to see some comparative numbers without engaging in a urination competition.

« SSD "upgrade" to regular laptop HDD | Dell Mini 9 Ram upgrade »