Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Post G.Skill Ram Too Hot! - 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM

I recently purchased this a stick of G.Skill 2gb ddr2 memory with the head spreader found on this page:

The problem with this stick is that it ran just way too hot! I dozed off earlier today and left it on my bed when i woke up an hour later, the bottom of the laptop was just blazin' hot! The only thing running at the moment was a Firefox browser with this forum loaded on one tab and gmail on the other. It was so freakin' hot that one of the bars on the bottom cover grill (directly above the ram) got warped!! but luckily nothing broke. Usually while the laptop is sitting on the table, it runs a little warm but at the time i thought it was normal.

So I decided to pop back on the factory 512mb to test and turns out, even running a hulu video while sitting flat on my bed the laptop is running really cool, warm to the touch. I need to replace this stick of rams with something else, suggestions? Also is anyone else experiencing the problems with their g.skill ram?

Dell Mini 9 | OSX 1.5.6 | A04 bios | 250gb WD Passport USB | G.skill 2gb DDR2
  (#2) Old
Default Re: G.Skill Ram Too Hot! - 03-23-2009, 02:08 AM

You really need to place the Mini on a hard surface so air can circulate under it. Since there is no fan it relies on convection cooling ( passive ). That's not to say that the Ram you have is not running hot. My guess there will be someone making a lap board with a fan to plug into the USB before long, if it's not already available. They do run hot.

The one I have is a piece of clear acrylic with a lip on each side and has ribs the computer sits on.

These guys always have some different things. ... goryID=909

« Webcam between Win7/XP and OSX | Portable DVDRW or Blu-Ray - Multi-region? »