Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Do i want an SSD with faster "read" or faster "write"? - 03-20-2009, 05:10 AM

I know this is a super noob question, but I've been called worse than "green".

Looking at all these different SSD benchmark tests, I'm seeing some drives that have high "read speeds" and low "write speeds". Some drives seem to strike a balance between the two, and some drives are flip-flopped the other way around. What is the difference between the two types of speed? Is SSD speed better utilized by focusing on the "read" portion, and letting the "write" portion be slightly lower? Is it better the other way around?

Sorry, I know this must be a very basic question but would appreciate any clarification you could offer!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Do i want an SSD with faster "read" or faster "write"? - 03-20-2009, 06:05 AM

Pretty much every SSD on the market is capable of acceptable read speeds. Fast write speeds can be tough to come by though so I'd be looking at that much more.

I don't know if you've seen this article on the main page, but it's well worth the read.

Macbook Pro 15" (4.1) - Running Ubuntu 8.10 in a VM
Mini 9 - Black, 4GB, 512MB, Ubuntu, no accessories
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Do i want an SSD with faster "read" or faster "write"? - 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM

You definitely want fast write speeds, especially fast random write speed. See the link in the post above.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Do i want an SSD with faster "read" or faster "write"? - 03-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Even though this is certainly somewhat of an oversimplification, this is the way I think about the specs:

Sequential read speed is good for opening programs (especially big programs). Sequential write speed is good for installing programs. Random read/write speeds overlap some, but you can basically ignore random read speeds because SSDs, by design, demolish conventional hard drives in this area. So ignoring random read speed, random write speed (especially for small files) is good for multitasking, especially for multiple small applications. Windows tends to do a lot of these. A poor random write speed can be EXTREMELY annoying in day-to-day use. Unlike random read speed, the random write speed of an SSD can be better or worse than for conventional hard drives (sometimes MUCH worse), so that's an important thing to look at.

I'm obviously getting some of my info from the Anand article already linked.

« Upgraded to RunCore 64 and my reward is - - - | Mini-9 Lid Removal »