Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini audio out---very noisy - 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Just to give anyone desiring to have a view of how the audio out works compared with some other options that I have.

I have two outboard portable Dac/Amps or soundcards for those not familiar with the addiction of the headphone world. The two that I have are the Headroom Total Bithead and the Ibasso Boa (D2). Either of these when used are configured to use the Mini's USB port. Both of these blow away the internal sound of the Mini. The Mini audio out to me sounds a bit like a rusty old 45 recording with, I would estimate, a noise floor between 45 and 50 dB. This is about what you would get 30-40 years ago with a 45rpm record and a needle. Either of my outboard soundcards are dead quite.

I would have thought that the internal Mini audio out would have been better with the specifications of the DAC used but the execution of the Mini's design in this area must have been more of an afterthought without any real design going into it.

I would never suggest that anyone actually use it for music. Any MP3 player would be better.

I do use the Mini as a music server and it works very well as long as you use the right accessories such as an outboard soundcard.

Check out for more information concerning the world of high-end headphones.

Obsidian Black Mini9 - XP Pro - 16gb SSD - 16gb SDHC - 2gb RAM - Bluetooth - 1.3 webcam
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini audio out---very noisy - 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Have you tried configuring the sounds using the realtek audio manager in the task bar? I find that at stock it is horrible, but you can adjust it pretty well(not a super powerful program) and end up with decent to good quality sound. Never excellent.

« STEC SSD mPCIe | How much RAM are you running in your Min 9? »