Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default SSD prices - 03-08-2009, 04:08 AM

For the people who've been around for a few months, have the price of SSD drives come down at all? The last thing I want to do is shell out $220 for a 64gb Runcore and have it go for $50 in a year.

Also, does anyone have the part-numbers and prices for the stock SSDs from Dell?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: SSD prices - 03-08-2009, 05:37 AM

When the Mini9 first came out, to get a drive that performed like the RunCore does, and was 64gb was something like $600.. But the price of the RunCore hasn't changed at all. Someday it might, but I don't see that happening until the 128gb version comes out. It'll be awhile, they said they need a die shrink before they'll be able to do a 128gb version.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: SSD prices - 03-08-2009, 03:07 PM

There is a lot of competition in the 2.5" size space, not much in the mini-PCIe space, at least for the higher performance models. This is changing, but as long as manufacturers can sell every drive they make, there's no incentive to lower prices. They will come down over the coming months, though, as the flash memory makers are introducing higher-density chips and more companies are getting into the business.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default Re: SSD prices - 03-09-2009, 12:29 AM

I agree competion will bring better performance and lower prices. I'll be getting a crucial drive monday I decide to save the money and wait for the lower prices.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: SSD prices - 03-09-2009, 06:14 AM

I can't see the Half Mini-PCIe sized cards coming down quickly.
Mini-PCIe is a small enough market to begin with and the Dell uses and even smaller version....I wouldn't worry about it

« Buying an SSD for the Dell Mini while overseas? | Bad idea: Multiple SD cards in legacy MMC SPI mode(?) »