Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Stock 4GB SSD DRIVE QUESTION - 03-08-2009, 12:00 AM

I just ordered a stock dell mini 9 with 512 ddr and 4gb of ssd for $179. I bought the 2gb of ram and tried installing windows xp lite on to the 4gb but god damn, lags everytime I open internet browser or try to multi task. Is this because the stock 4gb ssd has crap write/read speed? I am thinking of returning this dell cause it's unusable with this configuration. Or should I try upgrading the ssd to supertalent 32gb? I know runcore ssd is hard to find but supertalent is cheap for 32gb right now. Otherwise, I might just use my other laptop that's more powerful than what I have. Any advice on this lag issue? Cheapest way to solve this problem?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Stock 4GB SSD DRIVE QUESTION - 03-08-2009, 12:54 AM

The cheapest way to solve your problem is to get your hands on a Dell stock 8GB or 16GB SSD from someone who has upgraded. The 4GB SSD is EXTREMELY slow. The 8GB and 16GB are way faster than the stock 4GB SSD. Every once in a while one of those shows up in the For Sale section. Try eBay as well.

MY VOSTRO A90: Cherry Red Lid, Kingston HyperX 2GB RAM CAS 3, RunCore 64GB SSD, 16GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, Intel 3945abg WiFi Card, WinXP Home SP3, BIOS A06
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: Stock 4GB SSD DRIVE QUESTION - 03-08-2009, 03:28 AM

the stock 4gb sdd is very slow even with ubuntu :mrgreen:

just buy a 16gb runcore, or maybe a 32gb, you'll notice the difference 1 piconanosecond after install it

sory me no spiko english
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Stock 4GB SSD DRIVE QUESTION - 03-08-2009, 05:39 AM

The SuperTalent will not be any better than your 4gb drive. The reviews from people who have tried them have been very very bad. They lag as bad as that 4gb drive does. You definitely don't want one of those. STEC or RunCore, nothing else will do.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« USB Hub - Driver Controlled Ports | Undervolting a Dell Mini 9? »