Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Planning on getting a Mini 9 - 03-03-2009, 01:46 AM

I am planning to get a Mini 9 (with the European keyboard, some how) and I am planning to upgrade the Ram myself what with loving saving money, and I am wondering if I should upgrade the hard drive through Dell or if I should do it after market. I am going to use it as a side computer for taking notes and such, I'll probably load Starcraft and some movies on it. i want both storage and speed. So if I could get suggestions i would love that.

At some point in the future Mac OS X will be loaded on the machine.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Planning on getting a Mini 9 - 03-03-2009, 02:04 AM

If you want the convenience of not having to do the upgrade yourself, and can settle with the stock SSD, then configure the system with the biggest drive you can afford when you order from Dell. However, the Runcore SSD from MyDigitalDiscount is a bit faster than the stock drive, but you would have to install it yourself (super easy). I'm not sure what the latest price differences are between Runcore and stock drives are.

A lot of people tend to order their Minis with the smallest possible SSD (cheapest configuration), then upgrade after receiving it. I believe there might be one or two other brands of SSD that are compatible with the Mini, but from what I've seen on the forums, the speeds might not be optimal.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Planning on getting a Mini 9 - 03-03-2009, 02:28 AM

My $.02 is buy the one with the drive size that you want, and if you dont like it (need faster or more storage) get the Runcore and sell off the old drive. people are paying approx. the upgrade cost to buy them used on here (~$30-$35 for an 8gb, etc) so you might as well get one that is resellable. Stay away from the 4gb base model- they are DEATHLY slow and not worth much to resell. The 64gb model I have from Dell is pretty usable, but i would trade it for a 32gb Runcore any day of the week if give the chance.

« Aftermarket AC adapters - your experience? | RAM work with mini 9 »