Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Tablet Mod - 02-25-2009, 08:13 AM

To put another LCD screen behind the original you would need to design a circuit that splits the LVDS signals while maintaining a matched impedance (100ohm, i think) for the differential pairs. Just making a Y splitter would cause mismatched impedance and would introduce reflections in the signal. The data received by the LCD would be unreadable and you would not get an image on the screen. The signal splitter would have to be a multiplexer of some sort that would route the signal to the inner or outer screen (or both) controlled by some switch (maybe a magnetic switch that detects if the LCD lid is closed or open).

Found a chip that could possibly be used:
It splits 1 LVDS signal pair to 2 signal pairs. You would need one of these chips for each pair to be split. Anyone have any specs on the Mini 9 screen?

Update: I looked at the spec sheets for two LVDS LCD screens (the first two I could find in Google) and they were both 1 channel LVDS. Although the the connectors are different, it is only a matter of connecting the correct wires together and it should work since both panels receive the same digital data as long as they are the same resolution. Anyone know a source for Mini 9 screens? Nevermind, found some on eBay.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Tablet Mod - 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM

OK. I was only joking But if you want to do this, I want a 3% cut of the profits :P (OK-OK, I'll settle for high quality pictures of the results.

If you want to do this, that'd be awesome! I'd love to see what comes out of it.

« Horror Story | Which is faster: USB or Class 6 SD card? »