Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default wwan and gps - 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM

ok I have been reading a lot of stuff on this site and had a quick question

I noticed where some people had a wwan card that had gps ( at least that is what it seemed to be from what i read )

I am in North America, assuming i get a mini 9 that has a wwan slot or with the att card, can i get a gps enabled wwan and use it "only" for gps, so i dont have internet thru it and also no monthly charge ?

I am good nuf with computer hardware to do the usb gps hack i read about but I do not want to break my warrenty so i want to find the most plug and play answer to getting gps. ( all internally with no outward signs of its presence )

Thanks for any info
  (#2) Old
Default Re: wwan and gps - 02-20-2009, 06:24 AM

Hi Bob - you need to get the mini with the dell 5530 card, this is normally brought through a Vodafone deal, which has this card installed. Is a more expensive way to go as they bundle the internet costs with the hardware costs and take as much as they can.

The only other option is the hack that are shown on this site - they require hard-wiring and will remove your warranty.

I have a Vodafone deal type mini 9 and confirm the GPS is present on this hardware, you need to install the drivers to get it working as it's not active by default - but its there and it works.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: wwan and gps - 02-25-2009, 02:10 AM

I have the 5530 card. Where can I get the drivers and some GPS software to take advantage of it?

« runcores shipping soon?? | Internal mods "shopping list" »