Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Touch Screen Question? - 11-19-2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deldotb
Guys, I am very close. I have it working with a test USB cord connected to one of the external USB plugs, so I'm there except for connecting it up to the USB bus internally and find room inside for the touch screen controller. When I get it finished, I'll post it here and maybe the moderator will make it an article on the home page.

I have the US version, so I'm thinking the empty WWAN space should be plenty. Any suggestions for the location of the internal USB? Read some of the eee PC installs, but the layout seems different for the Dell Mini.

Hopefully I'll have this done and documented this weekend.
Awesome! I can't wait to see!
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Touch Screen Question? - 11-23-2008, 06:51 AM

OK, I have a touch screen working on the Dell Mini 9, but I could not find out which extra points on the motherboard to connect it to the USB hub. Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice on of the left external USB ports to the cause... I know this is not an elegant hack but when I post the installation directions online, I hope that some intrepid person will take my hack to the next level.

I also have to restart udev from a shell after I start Ubuntu so it will pick up the touch screen... not really sure why, but I'm sure that the driver can be installed automatically in some init startup script: I will research that as well and post. If any of you Linux gurus have a suggestion, let me know and I'll include them in the writeup.

Other than these two problems, the touch screen that I bought on eBay from Hong Kong seller toptouchscreen works pretty good (I don't think he understands English very well, but I told him I'd give him props anyway). I downloaded the Linux drivers and setup program for it and it runs flawlessly, and the setup program has a nice little program that calibrates the touch screen and saves that info for future sessions. The USB device that hooks up to the touch screen is, sadly, USB 1.1, so I have noticed a slight delay if one draws simple lines or squiggles; but for normal UI work it's pretty good. Ton's of options for it that control the click speed, calibration points, and even what part of the screen you want touch sensitive.

I'll try to post it today or tomorrow with pictures.
I posted a video on me in TuxPaint here I think I may need to modify the settings... not getting a good response for some clicks. I'll demo the TouchKit software later, too.

« port behind battery | CL4 RAM works »