Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Adding a USB Slave Port - 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Alright, had this thing for almost a week, and I'm itching to start some hardware tweaks. I want to be able to connect my mini up to my desktop in order to access files on the SSD while the Mini is shut down. Sure, the easy way would be to just keep my home folder on an SD card, but I like the way the Everun Note has a USB Mini Slave port to connect it as an external HD powered by the USB.

I'm thinking this may be done easily by swapping the SSD with a Runcore and just running an extension to the outside, maybe between the SD and USB on the left.

Is there anyway else to do this, any untapped leads that may work? I figure this functionality may be provided by the controller on the RunCore so I might have to wait until they restock.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Adding a USB Slave Port - 02-08-2009, 04:01 PM

AFAIK, there is no way to access the SSD unless it's in the mini PCIe slot, with the exception, of course, of the Runcore, which you mentioned. They don't even make mini PCIe to USB adapters yet, so the SSDs are useless outside of a computer that supports it. I think the only way is to buy a Runcore.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure you'll be able to use on of the existing USB ports, though I suppose it may be possible with some serious modding. If you do manage to connect the Runcore's slave USB port to the outside of the machine, I would suggest never hooking up to it unless the Mini is powered off (not even in sleep mode).

Interesting idea. If you're going to carry the Mini around with you everywhere you go anyway, might as well turn it into a portable hard drive, too (or gigantic thumb drive). Too bad the storage capacity isn't quite there yet.

« 32GB SSD from Dell=$$$ | Which Crucial Module? »