Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Touch Screen Controllers - 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM

So in poking around and looking at the touch screens available I've noticed one large difference between several of the screens: the controller chip. I've seen two different types; one is a slim chip hardly wider than the USB ports on it it's got the screen in on one side and USB out on the other, the second is a much larger chip with the screen in and USB out as well but then it also has an additional three USB inputs to the controller chip. (Pictures Attached) In the adverts that I've seen one of the additional USB's is used for a webcam, still leaving two free USB ports on the chip.

What I'm wondering is what peoples experience are with each of theses controllers; differences, troubles, perks, fitting issues with the larger chip. I can definitely see the benefit of having the extra USB's for adding additional upgrades but I'm wondering if the size of the chip would be a factor, or if the two different controllers indicate some intangible difference (quality?, USB 1.1 vs 2.0?) in the touch screens themselves. I've looked at adding an internal USB hub along the lines of this hack, ( but since I don't have a cam in my Mini the larger controller card would give me three extra ports without having to do any additional hacking/soldering.

Hand's on info or verified facts most appreciated, but let's hear everyones ideas on this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigControllerWithExtraUSB.jpg (24.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SmallController.jpg (79.8 KB, 6 views)

« Intel 5100 speed with Time Capsule | BT in Bios »