Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Kingspec 128GB fit without issues in Mini9? - 10-31-2014, 04:24 PM

I know I am crazy and I have not used my Dell Mini 9 in 6 months, but the hdd died and thinking about replacing it just because I have 2GB RAM and battery still was working, it triple booting with Win, Mac, and Linux and everything worked great(and I have a ghosted backup)

Amazon has Kingspec 128GB drives, but do those fit in the mini without removing anything inside the mini? I remember the runcore 128GB was "L" shaped and you had to remove something else, etc. I had 1 runcore 64Gb that died years ago under warranty and they replaced and the other had issues overheating if I left laptop on few few days, etc. so hoping the Kinspecs last longer

Last edited by drheim; 10-31-2014 at 04:31 PM.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-01-2014, 12:48 AM

You mean this one? Should work. Chips are denser now and the L shape is no longer needed. It would have been an issue only if you also had a WWAN card.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Thanks and that is exactly what I meant. I looked at Chromebooks and I know the old 720s have a lot more power in them, but the same amount of ram and almost no space. Plus they have a lot more issues with Linux. I think these old Dell Minis are still decent little computers. Thanks and I ordered the larger hdd
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 11-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Note that the Kingspec card has a break-off wing for use with Asus EeePC models that take a 70mm card. The Mini 9 uses 50mm so you'll just snap off that extra bit.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Cant play downloaded films well on my mini9 | USB to HDMI adaptor. »