Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default help me resurrect my mini 9 - 03-18-2014, 04:59 PM

around this time last year my husband convinced me to "retire" my mini 9, which had been my faithful computing companion for years. I got a transformer as a replacement, but my heart is still with the mini. I'm hoping to return it to service as a secondary device.

current known issues:
*need new battery and charger (got original replacement battery from dell when the factory one gave out, but it doesn't look like dell offers them anymore.)

*cracked screen (it's just a corner, and screen was still usable, but I'd like to replace it)

*intermittent speaker issues (probably the cables are just wearing out from being bent through the hinges)

any suggestions would be appreciated!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Welcome to the forum! My opinion on this is that it isn't worth the investment - you could spend the same money and get a more current small Windows laptop. All of the items you mention could be repaired, but would require some electronics repair expertise - do you have any? Replacing the battery is perhaps the most troublesome since any you get are likely to have been manufactured years ago and the cells possibly dead. It might be possible to replace the cells in your current battery with some effort (and soldering). The charger is the easiest part - most any small universal notebook charger will work.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM

thanks for the reply, even though it was disappointing to read. ;-)

I would not say that I am an expert, but I have a little soldering and electronic repair experience. I would say my husband has much more skill and could handle anything I couldn't. assuming I could talk him into looking at my defunct machine.

thanks for the tip about replacing the actual cells in the battery. I will look into that. and also about the universal netbook chargers. we have a box of old chargers that I will look through. at least that way I might be able to get this thing running off the wall.

another idea I have toyed with is to replace the innards with a raspberry pi type thing. has anyone attempted this before? my searches are turning up empty.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM

One small step is to just run your Mini 9 off AC. My replacement battery died a long time ago but this little beast is on every day. At this point, I don't think it will die. I also will not be replacing any parts due to age & $$.

My son has a Raspberry PI & it is pretty basic. It runs it's own version of Linux & you can get them enclosed in a small case. I don't think it is Mini 9 case friendly.

You might get lucky & find a Mini 9 for parts on eBay, just watch the shipping charges that are sometimes inflated.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

Last edited by lswartz; 03-27-2014 at 08:58 PM.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM

The charger needs to provide 19V at 30W minimum, and have the right size plug with the correct polarity. The Mini 9 uses a plug and polarity common to many Dell laptops - every universal notebook power supply I have tried offers a compatible tip.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« SDXC in Mini 9? | Re-purpose my Dell Mini 9 with a project? »