Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 boot problems - 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a Dell Mini 9 that a friend of my daughter bought at a pawn shop.

The first thing I found out was that the SSD was dying/dead. I fixed her up with a 16gb usb drive that boots to Ubuntu 12.04 and everything worked OK.

But I also convinced her to spend a little money to replace the SSD. I found a 16gb KingSpec on ebay (I know they are not the fastest, but it's should be faster than usb).

We got drive, installed it, and booted it up. BIOS setup shows the SSD anbd it's correct (I think) size. So I started the 12.04 install. That went quickly, and I restarted it but it failed to boot from the SSD. I let it boot into the usb and looked a the SSD. It's reported as "healthy."

I've installed several times, but with no success. I've used manual partitioning to make sure the bootloaded was on /dev/sda. I even installed the 10.10 netbook image, but still no joy. At this point I'm beginning to wonder if the SSD is bad.

I'm still looking for a software fix with Ubuntu, but I'm running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, peabody304
btw, not sure if this should be here, or in the Linux forum.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Hi peabody304

I can't really comment on the Ubuntu install however i can say that i bought my mini9 cheaply from ebay about 2 weeks ago and i didn't have the budget to buy a runcore ssd and bought a 32GB KingSpec like you have and have no issues with it whatsoever. I installed win7 pro onto the new hdd via USB, completed & configured the OS install, changed boot order to run from hdd first instead of USB, rebooted and it work first time.

« SD MMC Card reader | WiFi Upgrade N Intel 6200/6250 »