Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default AWFUL write performance with FEM32GFDL - 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Using Windows 7 I'm getting about 17MB write and 70MB read performance. The read performance is fine but the computer feels absurdly slow with the low write speeds. I'm testing using ATTO. Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Default 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Still no response? I can't find anything suggesting I didn't get a broken drive. I've installed MacOSX and the read write speeds are just as bad there having tested with XBench. I'm in the process of getting Windows XP back on just to rule any software problems out. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I mean at this point the whole computer is slower than the 8GB drive that was in there before.
  (#3) Old
Default 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Ok, I've taken an ATTO benchmark for both drives. I uploaded a comparison shot of the two drives. The STEC is on the left, SuperTalent on the right.

Is this normal or do I have a defective SSD? I bought the SuperTalent thinking it would greatly outperform the STEC drive.
  (#4) Old
Default 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM

I have the same SSD on my Dell mini 9 with the same problems as you describe. There's obviously something VERY wrong with Super Talent FEM32GFDL SSDs.
I found something about that problem on SuperTalent forum

But sadly, SuperTalent guy admits the problem, but doesn't know what is wrong with their SSDs... He is blaiming Phison (the controller maker).

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

If I'm not gonig to fix that problem I'll throw the bloody Super "Talent" throgh the window

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

ANd buy a RunCore

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Link to Super Talent blog • View topic - VERY SLOW PEFORMANCE with FEM32GFDL on Dell Mini 9 WinXP
  (#5) Old
Default 05-01-2011, 01:01 AM

This is basically the same problem all earlier SSDs had, and is the problem TRIM was designed to address. Unfortunately, the SuperTalent SSD, like most of the RunCores, does not support TRIM, and even if it did you couldn't make use of it on a Mini 9.

Does the SuperTalent support a "hard disk password"? If so, you can probably do a "Secure Erase" on it, restore the contents and get your performance back. Sadly, my RunCore does not support this.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Default Known Issues - 05-01-2011, 08:41 AM

This is a known issue... look at the forums at Super Talent. Or search the MDM forums for more of my posts (there were a few threads on this issue). I had the 64GB version of this drive and had to return it. The system was completely unusable due to the slow performance. No solution (software fix or otherwise) is available. Super Talent FTL.
  (#7) Old
Default 05-06-2011, 02:49 AM

I lol'd when I read this thread! I just "upgraded" to a fem32gfdl not more than a couple hours ago - go figure
  (#8) Old
Default 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM

I bought a FEM32GFDL back in January and had the exact same problem: exceedingly bad performance. Worse than slow; unusable. It actually benchmarked ok, but it's real life performance was abysmal. Cloned it over to a RunCore and installed, and instant 100x performance improvment.

Avoid this SSD at all costs; buy a RunCore instead.

(#9) Old
Default 08-17-2011, 12:27 AM

I yesterday asked SuperTalent guy if there is a solution. • View topic - VERY SLOW PEFORMANCE with FEM32GFDL on Dell Mini 9 WinXP

All of early version SSD has that problem and that is why we have asked our controller maker to develop a tool to run the garbage collection or performance re-gainer program.
Once we have that tool developed, we will surely post it on the FORUM site.
keep an eye on the FORUM~

Last edited by accattone; 08-18-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: grammar error
  (#10) Old
Default I can confirm this is a Windows issue only - 09-16-2011, 09:51 PM

I have a Mini 9 with dual boot XP and SnowLeo OSX, OSX is snappy but XP absolutely drags. I will be watching that thread too. Thanks for the info!!

« ssd slot | Solderless touchscreen »