Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Strange no power Issue - 02-14-2011, 04:28 AM

I was rushing to work yesterday on my bike when another cyclist suddenly came in front of me. Because I was in a hurry, I didn't have time to put my mini 9 and charger in my bag - they were in the basket. So, when my bike hit the other cyclist, the mini and charger flew out of the basket and hit the ground.

Luckily, my mini was in a case (Zeroshock) and started up okay when I got to work. It worked great, as usual. However, it quickly reported that the battery was low. This was strange as the charger was plugged in. Though it was working great, after the battery went to 0%, it won't start up.

It cannot start up from the charger only and there is no white power light when the charger is connected.
It cannot start up from the battery only and there is only the quick red light when the button is pressed.
If I press Fn + B, there are three beeps, one long and two short.
It is plugged in now and no lights are lit, so I don't know if it is charging or not.

As this occurred after the accident, I am thinking it is a hardware issue. However, as I noted, the mini started up fine before on the battery, so it must be the charger, right? However, if I shake the charger (or mini) there are no rattles/loose parts. I have tried jiggling the charger to see if it is a connection problem, but no results. Also, doesn't it seem strange that a 6-foot fall would "break" a rugged charger? The charger case is not broken.

Any advice appreciated. I have read all the other relevant threads, but I haven't seen any solution for this issue or an explanation of the meaning of the three beeps. Should I buy a new adapter or battery? Of course, it's out of warranty. To further complicate matters, I'm in Japan and it's a hackintosh! Help please!

Last edited by gamera; 02-14-2011 at 04:30 AM.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-19-2011, 02:51 AM

Well, no-one here had any answers so, I researched some more. Turns out that the Dell chargers are well known for sudden failures. Even though mine seemed fine (no scratches or loose parts), I took a chance and bought a new one. Success! It was the charger. So, if yours suddenly stops working, I recommend buying a new, non-Dell one.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM

most will work for a while then all of a sudden die and a lot of times take the SSD with it..buying a non-Dell one may save you money now but will cost you a lot more later on....Good Luck

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Internal Logitech Nano Receiver Modification | Which is better? SD or SDHC cards »