Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default IrDA on Mini 9, 10, 10v, and every hackintosh - 01-10-2011, 03:44 AM

So I liked kancept's idea of doing an internal mod on his dell mini 9, but I wanted to take it a step further personally because I wanted to be able to use this on any computer I had running OSX on or allow other to use it, but most importantly I wanted people on this forum to enjoy it as well. So I ordered an IR receiver from eBay that was removed from a 15" Macbook Pro (I already had the IR receiver and Apple Remote from a long time ago) so I could get started. Before I did any dismantling I looked up the connector pins for a usb to make sure I did the soldering right on it. I discovered that the pins are number 1-4 as if you were to read from left to right; that is is your viewing angle is behind it as it would be plugged in. So red is one, yellow/white is two, green is three, and black is four. I removed the usb male connector from the old cheap Chinese USB IR dongle and began soldering. Making it fit in the small case was a challenge and it turns out I had to strips the black insulation wire around the individually colored wires. I started by scrunching the wires together in the casing then close the two outer parts to it, after I squeezed the Apple IR receiver in and put on the black cap to act as a lens filter. I then taped the whole casing over with white electrical tape to keep its form and stay together as well as match my white Apple Remote. After that it was all done and I stayed up later that night to test it on my Mini 9 as well as my desktop hackintosh which both worked flawlessly with the remote after I paired it. Since the receiver is taught to memorize the transmitting beams from each remote, this is now a plug and play device as you switch from computer to computer. The video is posted here:

Enjoy! and if you have any questions feel free to leave a reply

dell, irda, mini

« Intel SSD 310 Series - Would it work? | Dell Inspiron 910 »