Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Vodafone Mini - Activate GPS without Ericsson Software - 01-14-2009, 01:15 PM

Hi all,

First of all thank you so much for all the contributions everyone has made to the forum. I've only just registered but i've been browsing around since I got my Mini a few weeks ago. Found a wealth of really useful information and just applied the A04 patch using the DOS updater which fixed the stupidly annoying resolution bug :lol:. Also managed to nab a 2GB RAM card and fit that the other day which was a fantastic improvement.

So I've got the UK Vodafone version of the Mini with the Dell 5530 Mobile Broadband Card in the WWAN slot. I managed to find the drivers for the 5530 from this forum that enables the GPS. I extracted them and installed them all perfectly, and I now see the GPS Port in Device Manager under the Ports section, hooked up to COM7. Mobile broadband still works perfectly!

Now the only question I have, is if there is a way to turn on the GPS receiver without using the Ericsson Wireless Manager utility? I like the Vodafone utility a lot and it's great to have the inbuilt usage monitor which I believe the Ericsson utility doesn't have.

I tried connecting to COM7 using HyperTerm and got absolutely nothing through, so I'm assuming I do need to turn it on somehow. The only question is how!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mini 9 - Vodafone Mobile Broadband - 8gb SSD - 2GB RAM

« RunCore Longevity | Plane / Car Power Adapter »