Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default 15" touch screen dell mini 9! - 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Hello people... I've been poking around these forums for a while and have been most interested in adding a touchscreen mod. found the 3M capacitive screen reasonably, but I'm on a tight budget.

I few minutes ago it occurred to me that I have a spare Dell 15" touch screen that's just sitting in my garage. I currently have another one running off an ITX Atom board as a kitchen recipe/music PC. I'm still tinkering with a decent front end that really takes advantage of the touch screen. Right now, I've just found it easier to continue using a mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, back to the spare. I had taken it apart before and the bulk of the weight and size (behind the screen) on this LCD is from the power supple to knock down the 110v to something lower. I'm hoping it's DC so that I can find a way to wire it to power off a brick and hopefully a battery pack. Then, I'm thinking if i can mount a bracket that the Mini can slide into and just quickly plug in. It would be crude, but definetly a starting point to building a 15" portable tablet. Obviously, finding a way to make it one complete enclosed single unit would be the goal. I have a spare mini 9 that needs a mobo (I think, actually, i know i fried it trying to solder on the board to add a USB hub). If I can get one cheap enough on eBay, i won't feel so bad tearing into this little puppy that I'm typing on right now.

I've searched around for detailed power specs on the Dell but haven't seen much. The model is Dell E153FPT. i got these from my job (old POS terminals) and now that I think about it, they have a t least one more (probably a 12") that's waiting the finally say-so to be disposed of.

I'm going to start tearing into the monitor when I get home and I'll update as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
G27-1502main2.jpg   G27-1502-g.jpg  
  (#2) Old
Default 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Hope it turns out well

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds extremely adventurous! Do posts pics as it comes together

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« does 'double sided' wifi fit? | Wtf omg wt??? »