Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
Unfortunately new SSDs are quite expensive at the moment, but on a lot of systems they are the bottle neck for certain operations. On My Mini 9 the SSD has pretty much died and now it's really sluggish.

If you're going to be using your Mini 9 long term, I'd definitely recommend the upgrade.
Wondering something here. If it was the "original STEC" drive or the "Runcore" drive that died. As expensive as the runcore drives are and as reliable as they are for offering replacements (when they can of course) One wonders why it didnt last longer. I'm unfortunatly still utilizing the 8Gig STEC drive but plan on getting something with quite a bit more storage capacity as soon as I can afford it (me being a semi-evil scientist/redneck dirt farmer n all, it takes time). I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences for the death of these drives as they are almost a godsend for speed, minimal power consumption and heat generatability (is that even a word?) AND i know i'll soon experience this failure myself one day given the limited life span and querkyness these drives have.

STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Bluetooth software | Solid State Drive Check? »