Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#81) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-06-2009, 01:12 AM

I posted earlier, shut down is at 125C. I would not go over 100C if possible. It will shut down before it does any damage or migration. So far, everything but Coretemp reads the wrong temperature, unless you tell it the TJmax is 125. It is reading 25C lower than what it is. Please reread post from the beginning. I have also linked to the information from Intel on the Atom's temperature results a couple of pages ago.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#82) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-06-2009, 01:34 AM

If I just listen to music, with the screen off most of the time, the processor runs very cool, between 30-35C.

Since the northbridge/gpu and processor all apparently share the same heatsink, the also effect each other.

Just grabbing a window and shaking it back and forth will cause the processor temp to spike 5-10C, likely from the extra work the GPU has to do. I haven't played any games yet. The most CPU intensive thing I've tried has been looking at winamp visualizations full screen, which got the CPU temp up to ~70C.

So it really depends what you do.. if you think the computer is too warm dl one of the (above) programs to monitor the temp and see if it's hot.
  (#83) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Justus
Originally Posted by IrishEyez
I'd like to have a cool place to put my Mini9. I'll settle for USB-powered; however, I'd like to find one of the "fanless" cool mats that is small in size (more for a mini than a larger laptop). Does anybody know where to find one?
The only one close to what you're looking for, that I know, is the Thermaltake iXoft cooling pad. It's a bit larger than the Mini 9, but it's totally lightweight and portable like the Mini. It seems that one runs $20-35 depending where you buy it.

The maker's website: ... 35&ID=1599

I've never seen one like this before, but it sounds interesting and the reviews are generally positive. Anyone out the used one before?

Thanks for the post. I've seen this one online too. I'm tempted to try it; however, I'm still hoping to find one that's smaller in size (I don't want 3-4 inches hanging over from all sides...and I'm sure you can't cut this item to size).
  (#84) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-13-2009, 09:31 PM

just curious..has anyone tried this cooling pad out yet?
  (#85) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM

I haven't yet. I'm tempted since they're cheap at Circuit City right now due to the out-of-business sale; however, I think it'll just be too wide on the sides.
  (#86) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-14-2009, 06:27 AM

but doesnt the product description say it can fold in half? will the mini fit on a folded pad?
  (#87) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM

There's a thread about USB cooler pads here:

I have one that is used mostly as a stand to get my Mini 9 up out of the clutter of my desk.
Just having some air holes under it seems to help the passive cooling work better though, even without running the fans.

I'm building a new gaming PC so my current desktop will be made a secondary machine for doing this kind of stuff.
I don't know how many more marathon Skype sessions my Mini 9 will be doing in the future if any, but it handled the task like an absolute trooper, warmness and all.

Based on the number of hours I've run my Mini doing this stuff I'd say a reliable alert system to give an early warning about an overheat condition would be great, but otherwise just run the silly things, HAVE FUN and pay attention to the fact that they run warm and need to breathe.

Personally I'm no longer concerned about it. Life's too short.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#88) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 03-03-2009, 03:50 AM

Hi all, after reviewing this post and promptly installing Core Temp (0.99.3), I was pretty alarmed to find that my passive operating temperature (on for a while, not doing much at all) in a ~17°C room was about 60°C and that under load it would easily climb to 70° or 80°. The highest temperature I have seen is in excess of 90°C, which was observed while using many apps, wireless, and recharging the battery. Anyway, this is alarming.

But then I googled around for the tj-max value for the N270 processor, and outside of this forum the consensus seems to be that the correct value is 90°C, not the complete failure point of 125°C. I am not a computer engineer, but this seems to me to be supported by Intel's datasheet for the chip, here: ... 320032.pdf
(Table 14, Page 50)

Furthermore, I stumbled across a beta version of Core Temp 0.99.5, in which the tj-max value for my chip is listed as 90°C, and now my current core temperature is listed as a much less alarming 18°C (in fact, I'd say that's almost suspiciously low, but my mini doesn't feel hot).

Anyway, I'm definitely not an expert and I hesitate to rejoice in my reassuring discovery. I'd love for someone with more knowledge to weigh in on this again.

White | STEC 16GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 0.3MP Cam | OS X 10.5.6 | DellEFI1.1
  (#89) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM

I just got 92°C in a ~17° room. Main programs were iTunes + visualizer, and downloading torrents. I'll try out a bit later when I play WoW on my mini again. This is using CoreTemp 0.99.4

Btw, someone posted a link to the intel .pdf on the Atom processor, and i believe it says that the sensors over 50°C are off by 10° (up or down), so these programs may be a bit off when showing the temperature.

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#90) Old
Default Re: When is hot too hot? - 03-04-2009, 06:40 AM

I have had a chance to look at the heatsink on the chipset/processor but has anyone tried reseating the heatsinks and using better thermal paste, for example, Arctic Cooling MX-2? On my Q9550 desktop at home, my cores were overly warm (monitored using RealTemp) and after applying MX-2 and reseating the heatsink, average temperatures dropped about 3-4C. (I eventually bought a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, which dropped my temps by 10-12C at idle and a whopping 25-30C under load.)

While you won't really be able to do much with a passive cooling system, reseating the heatsink and applying better thermal paste might help keep the core temps a bit cooler.

« SDXC Card read/write speeds up to 104MB/s> | 32GB Runcore Help In The UK »