Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Even if upgrading BIOS to manage shared V mem is possible... - 12-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Dell has no vested interest in doing so.

The agreement Dell has with microsoft is that it will only ship the mini with 1GB of RAM. This has to do with how Microsoft has turned it's back on the ancient technology of XP, and is moving forward with Vista... and the Mini 9 is not on that road.

If you move any MORE memory from a 512MEG or 1gig system to Video shared use, it would greatly impair XP's functionality.

So, I doubt the Dell will heed the cries for an upgrade to BIOS to allow users to select the amount of ram to go to the Video Processor.

I'm an avid gamer, and would love to be able to get better framerates with World of Warcraft on my Mini 9... but I may be out of luck.

Mini 9 - 2GB Mem, 64GB (the old slow one) SSD, XP Home from scratch
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Even if upgrading BIOS to manage shared V mem is possible... - 12-24-2008, 06:26 PM

By allowing more V-ram, wouldnt that make them more competitive with the MSI wind and others? So they have no interest in swaying those on the fence between the wind and mini 9?

« 2GB RAM Upgrade Question | BUFFALO 32GB SSD »