Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Question Add WWAN Modem After Purchase - 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM

So, when I bought my mini 9 I did not order it with WWAN. I am fortunate enough to have stumbled on a WWAN modem that appears to fit in the mini. The contact points on the modem appear to line up perfectly with the solder pads on the lappy motherboard, which leads me to believe the module I came across is the same as what Dell puts in these minis (it came out of a different dell mini, diff model).

Anyways, the mounting clip things I do not have. Can they be ordered? Is it even possible to add these after market? Im not quite sure how the simcard placement would work.
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Do some searching here, but a couple of people here have ordered and soldered the connectors to their system boards. I think there's even photos/tutorial available.

The SIM card needs it's own socket elsewhere on the system board.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Yea Ive done a bit of searching, but I must really suck. I have found many mentions of a WWAN mod, but I cant find a specific thread of someone actually going through the process.

However, what I have found is, evidently these are just your standard run of the mill PCI-e slots. God I wish dell would just solder the damn connectors onto the pads so we could just do whatever we want with em. Hell, people are even putting mini PCI-e HD Decoders in their minis. That is truly amazing.

Unfortunately I am way to shaky to be doing any soldering, but I know someone who might be up to the task.
  (#4) Old
Default 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

It is true that the physical connector is that of MiniPCIe, but electrically, the WWAN slot is wired for USB only. None of the other pin types are live. The only "real" MiniPCIe slot in the Mini 9 is the WLAN connector.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Pics of WWAN antennas | Not enough space to install XP? Help! »