Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default pendrivelinux need wifi driver - 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM

I had windows 7 installed on my dell mini9, but the 16gb SSD finally crashed.

I now have pendrivelinux 2007 running from a usb thumb drive, and I need the wlan driver. The linux program is called like ndswipper or something similar, but it ask me to locate the wireless driver which I don't have.

Alternatvely, is the ubuntu netbook remix capable of running of the usb drive? .... do I need to run a wired connection and download any packages.
  (#2) Old
Default 01-01-2010, 02:26 AM

I'll try to answer your questions.

NDISwrapper is a Linux program that allows you to use Windows WiFi drivers in Linux. So, you need to download (or otherwise acquire) the Windows driver for your card.

But the Broadcom WiFi card that comes in the Mini 9 also has proper Linux drivers. Some distros, like Ubuntu, include the drivers. Others, like Debian, don't. I'm using Debian currently, so I had to download and compile the driver myself.

As for UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) running on a flash drive, it should work (but I'm not sure about suspend/resume). In 9.10, the WiFi drivers don't activate automatically, but I don't think you need a wired connection to activate them.

I hope that info helps.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« New logo stickers, where to buy? | 3rd party charger Dell Mini 9 »