Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Bump - - - please, any input appreciated. Thanks.

Original msg, from previous page:

"Well, I read the linked info at: HP Mininote Broadcom Wireless Finally Working on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala | Hot News and found that either it or I didn't work. But as a result of multiple attempts, I now have a CDROM burned from the 9.10 Desktop-i386-iso. I also have A thumbdrive with the same data and another thumbdrive with the Netbook Remix iso.

Somewhere in there, the drivers for the broadcom card must be located, but how to get them into the HP's SSD and OS baffles me! I've followed those instructions as faithfully as possible, simply clicking past the error messages and etc. which are not mentioned in the instructions.

Gee, I wish I could determine if the error is mine or the software or the instructions.

Any help or guidance is very much appreciated."

many thanks and all blessings.....

(#12) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 08:01 PM

fyi, Ubuntu on the Dell Mini is the best mini9 ubuntu website around.

Check out the guides section for karmic on the top left.

Specifically for broadcom wireless driver install, Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: Broadcom Wireless Driver Fix In Karmic

edit: one side note, a clean install of 9.10 has this problem whereas if you upgraded from 8.xx or 9.xx, it should not.
  (#13) Old
Smile 12-20-2009, 04:04 AM

That procedure (Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: Broadcom Wireless Driver Fix In Karmic) also worked on my HP mini 1030.

I had to use terminal mode, and had to go thru Update Manager after getting the package.

Restart needed - could have waited, but wireless was in the group and i wanted it!

On restart, got wireless connect. (WOO-Hoooo...)
Default 12-29-2009, 10:09 PM

One other development you should be aware of. The current linux kernel has a b43/ssb driver that supports the BCM4312 chipset perfectly. Out of desire to get the atom processor support of the new kernel, I just happened to retry the b43 driver... and it worked! I am now able to put the BCM4312 chipset into monitor mode for the first time and kismet has never been more fun to run!

« OS system comparisons - subjective opinion | Anyone using their Mini 9 for war driving? »