Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default SSD performance - 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM

I know many are eagerly awaiting the runcore SSDs and it seems like they are arriving for the first orders (hopefully). After reading through this anandtech article, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to test the latencies on the Dell drives and the newer runcore drives? Sure, the anandtech tests were on a beffy quad-core desktop, but the write latency on the SSD drives with the JMicron controller were abysmal, so even if it shoulnd't matter that much on a 1.6GHz Atom processor, I'm still curious if the SSD latencies are going to be that slow on the runcore.

I think IOmeter primarily is a windows based program, but you may be able to run it on an Ubuntu system. Even if no one can/wants to go that in depth with a program like IOmeter, there are some real world tests like compressing and uncompressing two different archives at the same time. And while I know this seems overkill, the author noticed the pauses while IMing, which is something most people would do on a netbook.
I had suspicions as to the nature of the problem based on my experience with it in my Mac Pro. The SuperTalent MLC drive in my machine would pause, most noticeably, randomly when I'd want to send an IM. What happens when you send an IM? Your logfile gets updated; a very small, random write to the disk. I turned to Iometer to simulate this behavior.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: SSD performance - 12-15-2008, 05:34 PM

As for that pause you quoted.. The old generic MLC SSD's that MyDigitalDiscount was selling have that problem. It'd actually pause up to 10 seconds at times. Those drives were also horribly unreliable and they pulled them off their store. From the video posted online by JKKMobile of the RunCore, they don't have this problem. He worked the hell out of his machine while playing video and such, no stuttering seen.
Hell, all it takes is a semi decent controller on the drive to take the info from the OS, cache it, and say "ok, got it, you may carry on now" to the OS so the OS never stutters, and the write speed of the drive is hidden in the background.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: SSD performance - 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM

The article is three months old, so the controller problem may not be a problem any more, but from the tests he ran it appeared that the MLC SSDs with a JMicron controller were the only ones with the problem. I can see that the runcores for the Asus use a jmicron controller and I'd assume it's jmicron for the dell.

I'm mainly just curious, though, it's not like I'm willing to dish out $500 for an 80GB SSD. I plan to order a 32GB RunCore from MDD later this week, regardless.

« Graphics Card? | Dell Official Service Manual »