Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default New Runcore Pro IV PATA 50mm SSD install - 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM

Hello this is my first post to this site so here goes. I purchased a Runcore Pro IV PATA 50mm 32GB SSD for my Dell Mini 9. I am currently in the process of installing XP on the drive. I wanted to point out a precaution that I was lucky enough to come upon prior to installing my drive. The SSD holes for the retaining screws have a copper lining to protect the drive from shorting out. The underside does as well but it is not as large as the post that the screws go into. This is a reason why many drive short out. if you over tighten, the metal makes contact and shorts the drive out. I found a forum where someone installed the drive and put electrical tape over the mounting post. He tried to use motherboard washers as well as small silicone washers but they where too thick and the screws would not start. He has had his drive for months and the tape shows no sign of wear. I installed my drive with the tape as well as and so far so good.

Just and FYI, thanks
  (#2) Old
Default Electrical tape fixed mine, too. - 12-14-2009, 04:44 AM

I received my RunCore Pro IV PATA 50 mm SSD 64 GB from MDD back in October and finally got around to installing it this weekend. To my surprise the Dell Mini 9 did not see it. After checking multiple posts I came across this one about using electrical tape to insulate the connecting posts. I put the tape in place and voila, the RunCore SSD can now be seen. I'm still going to contact MDD to find out if a fix has been applied to the SSD itself rather than having to do this trick.

« Help on Tablet Project | Is the SSD just an ExpressCard? »