Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Advantage of T-Style? - 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM

What advantages T-Style 32GB SDD presents over one slot 32GB. Yes, I read that it is "faster" but it was not said faster THAN what.

Are there are other advantages?

Which copy disk program to use that sectors are optimal and how to do it? Need to re-partition or re-format?
  (#2) Old
Default 11-11-2009, 10:18 PM

I got a runcore 64g T drive that speeded things up in my computer BIG time (compared to the 16g STEC). How much exactly I cannot say. Flash video performs much better. Another important advantage is that the heat is more evenly distributed because the drive is bigger. The bottom of the laptop does not get as hot compared to the 16g STEC.

There are a lot of posts on the forum about aligning the partition, especially if you are using windows XP. I did not do this. The guides I studied on the internet are either too vague, or do not address my situation well enough (I am a beginner and have no idea what strip size of RAID is, or the proper values to input for the Runcore are, etc..). The theory is that if you align the partition, you may get increased speed and overall lifespan of the drive.

Maybe someone will post an "align the partiton" walkthru for me that I can understand! Until then, I will just keep my drive writing and erasing more than it needs to.

dell mini 9, 1gRAM, 64g runcore, BT, camera
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 11-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Its faster than a non-T design of the same capacity. That is because the larger chips are faster. It always costs more to make things smaller, in this case the price is paid in speed

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#4) Old
Default 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Oh boy...I really gotta get rid of this 4GB STEC SSD .....

Grumble, grumble.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC

« osx upgrade help | Dell Wireless 700 on the Mini 9??? »