Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Smile Dell external DVD writer - 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM

So the other day the Dell store was running a sale that included $10 off the external DVD unit Dell sells for our machines, this one here:

DELL 8X DVD±RW External USB Drive for Dell Laptops : Storage, Drives & Media | Dell

Now, even though I already have an external DVD burner, being the total tool that I am, I just had to buy this one given that it matches the look of my Mini 9... OK I also liked the fact that it does not require an external power adapter, making it much more convenient to travel around with than my current unit. It's also a slot-loading player... which is kinda cool. No lids to open, just slide the disc in, like a Nintendo Wii or most car players.

I had, however, heard mumblings of dissatisfaction about this unit, so even though I took the plunge I did so with a little trepidation.

Well, now that I've got it and had a chance to test it, I'm happy to report complete satisfaction. The unit is great. I'm right now listening to a CD that I burned using only the included retractable USB cable. I was able to burn this CD without resorting to the double "Y" shaped USB adapter that is supplied for "extra power." That's nice. Makes the unit all the more portable. It will also be useful for burning ISOs to disc at remote locations for work (I work in IT).

The unit also plays regular DVDs, of course, and I'm thrilled to report that playback is flawless and smooth, even with a relatively under-powered Mini 9. Here's a picture of the unit playing Pirates of the Caribbean:

(shown with the Dell Bluetooth travel mouse... which also roxx!)

So my judgment: thumbs up!
  (#2) Old
Default Dell external DVD writer - 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Hey guys. I just got the external DVD unit that Dell sells for our machines. If you're curious here's my review and a picture:
  (#3) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 12:46 AM

I use a slimline LG GP08LU10 - also runs off the USB and does not need the extra cable - but it does come with an extra USB power plug if needed for any devise that does not produce sufficient power to run.

Have used this for OS installations etc on the mini without any problems - also has the advantage of lightscribe - not that of actually used it yet!!!

« USB internal bluetooth mod help | Internal USB wont work »