Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old
Default 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM

that does it, im modding one in....just cause everyone says not to....and most important....cause it wont do any good and i can....;-)
  (#12) Old
Default 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM

the atom can reach 90C, sure. It sure as hell doesn't want to be run at 90C for any length of time though. The gpu will also underclock and throttle down in the 70C range.

What i see on my mini 9 is a drastic drop in performance caused by auto-throttling once i hit 70C. This does not halt the rise in temp though if i keep doing whatever it is i'm doing, which makes me think that it's mostly gpu throttling that's occuring, as the atom's throttling occurs at a much higher temp.

The mini9 would definitely benefit from having some air movement inside the unit, the only thing i would be concerned with is if the fan can get the air to where it's needed, without being too noisy to be useful.

just so you know, there is a EM shield behind the vent on the side of the mini-9, it's easily removable once you open the unit though. This EM shield greatly blocks air flow, as you'll see when you open the mini up and look at the vent from the other side.

mini 9 : Debian Unstable : 2GB ram : Atheros wifi
  (#13) Old
Default 10-16-2009, 05:31 AM

But say you remove it, will it be disrupted by phone signals and such?
Im thinking of buying this fan so i can maybe cut it down and modify it to fit (Putting the USB connector upside down). Maybe a coat of black krylon...

Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 2g RAM, 16g SSD, 1.3MP, BT, WLAN, Windows Seven Ultimate 32bit build 7600

« mini 9 PP39S standard battery replacement. | Question to upgrade SSD for Dell MINI 9 bigger storage. »