Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default wireless sensitivity of stock BCM3412 (Ubuntu) - 09-08-2009, 02:12 AM

I have a stock Mini 9 running Ubuntu. Recently we were at a country inn with 802.11b/g wifi service that was somewhat marginal, and probably fairly congested. One family member has a full-size Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 9.04, with a BCM3411 wireless card. The Mini 9 is also running 9.04 (UNR), with its stock BCM3412 wireless card. These two cards use different drivers: we were using the standard Ubuntu-supplied drivers, with no tweaks

The Mini 9 showed a lower signal level than the other laptop, and often dropped packets (seen with iwevent), even when they were in identical locations. I did not see dropped packets on the 1525. The Mini 9 was often almost unusable; the 1525 was sometimes slow, but OK.

I am not sure whether to attribute the Mini 9's problems to the card, the driver, or perhaps the the differences between antennas. I checked the antenna connections in the Mini, and they were OK.

I wonder if any of you have seen similar problems when compared to other laptops. Or, if you have tried a different wireless card in the Mini, did you see a jump in performance under identical operating conditions? Thanks.

« Extended Batteries & Flashing LED Issue | Memory cards? »