Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#21) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by fastfinger View Post
I just got my new DEll Mini 9 with 8gb SSD and 1gb RAM ---the thing is aready filled with XP and Wprks - can't view any Powerpoint files- YIKES- can't do anything with it -- that's why people all need MORE memory and MORE hard drive space.
I wonder if a SDHC card might be useful - except I doubt if you can RUN a program off of it - just store data. And here I thought it was a good idea to get a SSD -- my bad!
Don't forget that there's a few things that you can do to get some major space and speed back.

Just look up Nlite (making a slimmed version of XP) and removing the virtual memory/pagefile (pagefile uses up a couple gigs of hard drive space to act as more ram by default). Also, if you don't use it, make sure that hibernation is turned off.

Also, I'll make a new thread later, but what is the end-all be-all to the battle of the HyperX and the GSkill? Taking into consideration that the GSkill runs a bit cooler (less wasted energy=longer battery life), the lower CAS of the HyperX for a slight speed advantage, and overall use? And out of curiosity, why has the price of ddr2 ram been jumping up lately?
  (#22) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 06:07 PM

DDR2 chip shortages. Expect DDR2 to get more expensive over time now that DDR3 is popular.

The CAS difference of the HyperX does not translate into anything visible in terms of performance on the Mini 9.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« apple keyboard | Different touchscreens..which one? »