Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Help! How can I mount a half length card in a full length slot? - 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM

I have bought an Intel 5100 card, Dell part number #H006K. Unfortunately it is a half length card and I am trying in vain to mount it in the full length slot that the old WLAN card had in it.

But the card needs to be screwed down otherwise it pops up at a 45 degree angle, and although the mini has screw points at the half length position, they are far too big and not threaded!

Comparing them to the screw points at the full length positions reveals the ones at the full length positions have some sort of insert to provide the threading and the correct screw size, but these are not present at the half length position.

I tried (gingerly) to remove them to see if I could put them in at the half length position but had no luck from the top side... is there any way to remove them to be able to put them at the half length position? Or is there any other way of getting the card to stay in a horizontal position! Or do I need to return it and buy the full length card?

(#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM

You could use a very small piece of foam between the card and the bottom cover, so that the bottom cover keeps it pushed down in the right position while in place.

Not ideal, but should be stable enough.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old
Default 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks. Actually it might not be quite as a big a problem as I originally thought, the antennae cables, if positioned right, do something towards keeping the card pressed down, and hopefully the lid will do the rest to keep it firmly enough in the slot.

I'll let you know!
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-18-2009, 01:43 AM

Some folks have added an internal SDHC Card reader in the unused WWAN slot (see my sig) and had to get standoffs for those. Check the thread for parts or move the end standoffs to the middle holes. See thread for details.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« SSD temperature / flash & system performance | Upgrading Dell Mini 9 for Hackintosh? 10v? »