Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Lightbulb Tips that sped up my Windows XP - 07-30-2009, 06:03 PM

After being disappointed with the RunCore performance I found on youtube some tips to speed up windows XP and they actually worked (besides the boot up one).
I wanted to share these and see if anyone else has used them and are they safe?

Start up faster
Navigate and expand in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl Set\Control\ContentIndex
Change the Decimal value of the Startupdelay key to 40000 and restart the PC. You should notice a bootup that takes less time.

start menu speed
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop
MenuShowDelay Changed to 0

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControl Set/Control.
Click on the "Control" Folder.
Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"
Double click on it and set a value lower than 1000.

Increase Virtual Memory
My Computer>properties>advance tab>Performance setting>advanced>virtual memory size 1.5x your RAM

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3mp Webcam | Transcend 16GB SDHC | Kawau Micro SD Card Reader | Polaroid 16GB Micro SDHC | Windows XP | Ridic Graphics Skin | Logitech V450 Nano
  (#2) Old
Default 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM

If you have 2GB of ram, there are _FEW_ things that you could be doing on your netbook that would require any type of swap usage. Eliminating it altogether if possible in windows land might net you the best performance.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default 07-30-2009, 07:47 PM

For faster start menu performance, right click on the start icon and press properties. Then choose customized, advanced tab, and uncheck "Highlight newly installed programs". That should speed things up some.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 04:51 AM

Tried the boot speed up tip and it didn't result in any noticeable difference. I did notice that touchpad scrolling got choppy and after a few minutes, my system crashed. Luckily I was able to reboot and return the registry entries to the previous values.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 09:26 PM

Increase Virtual Memory
My Computer>properties>advance tab>Performance setting>advanced>virtual memory size 1.5x your RAM
There's been plenty of discussion on this topic elsewhere, earlier in the year. Probably in the Win XP forum -- you could try searching on 'virtual memory'. It's not clear that this will speed up your Mini -- all it will do is allow you to run more programs (or programs with larger memory requirements). That's probably not going to speed anything up at all.

(#6) Old
Default 01-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Increasing virtual memory to improve your Windows XP is really great. It is also easy. Just go to your control panel, click performance and maintenance, and click system. Then, on your advanced tab, click settings under performance; and under virtual memory, click change. Choose your drive and change the settings by choosing custom. Always keep in mind to set the values at 1.5 times you RAM. They should also be the same.

Last edited by techieguy22; 03-01-2011 at 04:46 PM.
  (#7) Old
Default 03-02-2011, 11:57 PM

The biggest thing I've done to speed up my Winders XP is a hack called minlogin I picked up a while back at a carputer forum. It replaces the original winlogin of your windows xp system and creates a single user profile called "SYSTEM". It PREVENTS multiple accounts on your system, speeds up boot QUITE a bit, and makes the system a little faster all around. It does this by removing any multi-login checks or abilities and streamlines the user profile part of Windows XP. You can check out the tutorial on how to install ithere:
GranTuring: Installing MinLogon

There is also another system called the EWF(Enhanced Write Filter) that is useful. It writes changes to your hard drive to the ram instead of to the hard drive. What does this do? It prevents things like viruses and your annoying sister from messing up your system. Restoring back to normal is as easy as a reboot. The disadvantage is turning the EWF system off and on can be annoying(command, so I would typically run the EWF on my system drive and store anything I want to keep around on my SD card. I think the biggest advantage is you really don't need to run any antivirus software and it reduces the reads to your solid state hard drive down to near nothing, so it will also allow your SDD to last quite a bit longer. Nifty.
GranTuring: Installing EWF

Also, you can use this cool tool called nlite to strip useless components from your Windows XP install. This is great for saving space and removing crap like the indexing service your not going to use anyway.

Finally, I disable all of the unneeded services in Windows XP to reduce stress to my system. This speeds up boot time, load time for programs, and over all reactiveness of the system. Sleek.

Good Luck guys!

Using everything here, my Windows XP took up around 700MB on install (with disabling hibernate and virtual memory) and I get 20 second boot times on a stock 16GB SSD.

Last edited by ScottLott; 03-03-2011 at 12:06 AM.

« Keyboard Issues? | Changing SSD and OS on Dell Mini-910 »