Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default internal usb hub + raided thumbdrives - 07-27-2009, 11:09 PM

My initial goal is to install an internal usb hub using the pins on the "mini pcie" slot used for the wwan card and then use that to connect 2-4 8GB thumbdrives in raid0. Hopefully that can start to throttle the usb2.0 bandwidth. I was just wondering if anyone else has already done this on their mini 9 and gotten any numbers from it. Basically, cpu usage and transferrates.

No idea what i'd use the 16-32GB drive for, since i plan on streaming any large files over the wifi when needed but why not. - SUPER TALENT Pico Mini 8GB USB2.0 Flash Drive (Blue) Model STU8GMAB - USB Flash Drives
de-cased is what i plan on using.

anyway, just looking to hear about anyone going this route. seeing as how we can't use two ssd's in native pata.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 12:05 AM

USB2's speed is only around 30MBps, shared among all devices. A single, fast flash drive can saturate the interface.

So, I think your idea won't give the results that you're hoping for.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 06:40 AM

most flash drives i've ever used barely sustain 5MB/sec. I'm not talking about the most expensive drives here. Hell, even moderately expensive flash drives easily have trouble getting anywhere near 30MB/sec write speed.

I may be able to saturate it with two, assuming they dont really really suck, but only testing will tell.

« SDD and SDHC config... | Scratched my lid....... »