Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Battery not recognized by XP Pro - 11-19-2008, 02:47 AM

I've been looking around the forums for this problem and see that most can fix the battery meter problem in the Mini 9 by installing the battery meter/wireless switch software from the Dell website. My problem is that the battery meter/wireless switch software is installed but it tells me no battery is present.

I have an unknown device that must be the battery in the device manager and have attempted to manually install a driver. I have also installed XP Pro twice now. I am using an nLite'd version, but have followed other guides to make sure I keep the necessary components. My original OS was Ubuntu and I have the 4GB drive. Everything was fine under Ubuntu, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Seems to be a driver issue, but I can't find the correct driver.

I've tried batterybar, but it shows 0% battery all the time.

Any suggestions? The battery works fine - I'm typing on battery right now. It would just be nice to know when I'm running low.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Battery not recognized by XP Pro - 11-19-2008, 02:50 AM

Try uninstalling the device and reinstalling. IF it doesn't work I suspect you nlited something off that you shouldn't have, just don't know what.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Battery not recognized by XP Pro - 11-19-2008, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion. Installing and reinstalling didn't seem to work. I've uninstalled the device and rerun the software from Dell a couple of times now.

I'm afraid I probably did nLite something I shouldn't have. I learned the hard way to leave the firewire support in on my last round when most of the guides seem to leave it out. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can figure it out and post the answer if I do as I still have a little tweaking with the XP Pro install.

I have to say I think this is a great forum. I've learned so much from reading nearly every post available in the last week since I received my Mini. Many thanks to all the contributors.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Battery not recognized by XP Pro - 11-19-2008, 04:14 AM

i had the same prob.

all it needs is the batt.dll file

someone else here had it too. maybe give the forum a search, he has the link to d/l the dll file

(#5) Old
Default Re: Battery not recognized by XP Pro - 11-21-2008, 12:27 AM

I figured out the problem as I was having shutdown problems as well. I had a battery dll from the slim drivers and it was never recognized properly.

It seems that the BIOS I was using (A01) was not being recognized as ACPI compatible. I was getting a message during the XP Pro install that setup could not detect what kind of computer it was and I had two choices: Standard PC with C-Step i486 and other. "Other" did not work and I was left with the i486 option. I got the idea about this here: ... ows_xp.htm

I did two things so I'm not sure which actually solved the problem. The first was to upgrade to BIOS A02. The second was to redo my nLite XP PRO CD and instead of leaving computer type as automatic in the unattended install options, I set it for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. I changed nothing else in nLite and did a full reinstall, deleting the partition and doing a reformat.

Then I was able to install the battery meter switch, the unknown device went away with the battery device now showing up, and I have a battery icon in the taskbar. The wireless switch also worked after this, although I have since uninstalled it as I didn't need it.

As I mentioned I don't know for sure that the BIOS was the problem so it could have been my nLite install. All is now good and it's quite a snappy little computer with the 4 gb SSD and 2 gb RAM. The slim drivers worked great for ethernet, wireless, and audio. I did use the Dell installers for the rest.

« dvd decoder? | Dell Launcher problems after 2 GB upgrade »