Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default "hal.dll is missing or corrupt" message on boot-up - 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: hal.dll"

WTF? I did not have my mini powered on yesterday and got this message on boot-up today.

Quick google of the message:
Error message 3
Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Additionally, you may experience one or more of the following behaviors:
• If you start the computer to the Recovery Console, a command prompt may appear with no option to log on to the Windows installation.
• If you try to access the Windows folder, you may receive the following error message:
Access denied.
• If you try to perform a Repair operation from the Windows XP CD-ROM, the Windows installation is not detected and you cannot repair Windows.

4 methods of repair listed on the Microsoft website listed above. I'm in the midst of this method of repair now:
Method 3
1. Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
3. When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
4. Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
5. At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

For Uni-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
For Multi-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Note In these two commands, the <cd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of your CD drive, and the <hd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of the hard disk on which windows is installed.
6. If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.
7. Type exit, and press ENTER at the command prompt.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Re: "hal.dll is missing or corrupt" message on boot-up - 11-20-2008, 03:03 AM

I've only ever seen this when I had a boot leg copy of Vista Ultimate on my desktop. After the 30-day trial was over I did something to get it to continue and then that error came up.

« No Network Access | Bricked Mini after 6 days »