Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default another wireless problem - 06-17-2009, 02:07 AM

hi all, i've had this problem with my mini9 for a month now, i can't seem to access the internet. i can see, and connect to my router, but just always get "page cannot be displayed" error in IE or firefox. it started when my roommate moved out and took the linksys router, i just "borrowed" from the neighbor for a while and things worked fine. all of the sudden, without changing anything i kept getting "limited or no connectivity" on the neighbor's i went out and bought a cheap belkin and set it up with my other laptop, a dell ispiron 700... that network worked fine for the inspiron, but again i could connect with the mini, but not get on the net. most of the time the speed would quickly spiral down to 1mbps, but i could never get on. i figured i got a crappy router, so i returned it and got a netgear wndr3300 Same problem occurred again, didn't matter if i had no security, WEP or internet. same thing on my parents linksys network, same on my friends Dlink and other friend's linksys networks, as well as holiday inn's network.....i can see and connect but not get on....
the odd thing is that it works FINE at my school's network

i've been through dell support(all they could say, after using remote access was it looked like the connection was constantly dropping, even with the power settings changed), netgear support , downloading new drivers, reinstalling the broadcom card and reinstalling XP. no change
does this sound like anything familiar, or make sense to anyone?
i've got a mini 9 with XP 16gb sshd 1 gb ram
thanks for your help!
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to fyrfyter Send a message via Yahoo to fyrfyter Send a message via Skype™ to fyrfyter
Default 06-17-2009, 02:59 AM

How many wireless networks are near you? Sounds like you might be getting collision from multiple wireless networks on the same channel, and since they are fighting for the same space, your connection never stabilizes. I get computer help calls for this all the time.It does not have the same effect on all computers. Some computers can stabilizes with this, others will not. I would install NetStumbler (Free). Downloads | See how many wireless networks it detects near you, and what channel they are operating on. Then, figure out what channel you need to change your router to, to avoid what sounds like collision. Other than that, try getting updated software and drivers for your wireless card. I guess the possibility always exists that something may have gone awry with your wireless card and it needs to be replaced. But I would try the least intrusive items first. You can also try going into a DOS prompt, and telling it to renew your IP address. The command is "ipconfig /release all" then put in "ipconfig /renew all" (Without quotes, just markings for the commands)

« Windows XP hags while copying files on RunCore 32GB!?? | cannot mount file system (linux) »