Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default SSD BAD Sectors... - 11-16-2008, 03:34 PM

yesterday i've done an e2fsck /dev/sda1 (my primary root partition), and i was amazed by the log message that tell me about 8 bad sector on my ssd , i have got this netbook only 3 days ago and already has bad blocks !??!!
Is this into dell warranty or not ?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english....
  (#2) Old
Default Re: SSD BAD Sectors... - 11-16-2008, 09:45 PM

This may be common in STEC ssd's. This is from STEC's web site... "Due to the need to keep cost low and yields high, NAND flash devices are shipped from the NAND manufacturer's fab with up to 2% randomly scattered Bad Blocks."

Link to full article: ... gement.php

Dell Mini 9, 16gig SSD, 2gig Memory, Windows xp
  (#3) Old
Unhappy Re: SSD BAD Sectors... - 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM

The STEC article suggests that their on-board controller will HIDE these bad blocks, as well as any new ones that develop over time from you and you won't see them.

I presume this isn't what hippykiller is seeing here, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding the low-level details here.

Given that MLC drives have low total write counts (like 10,000 operations per cell limit) I wonder if it is advisable to run a disktest with a test for bad sectors over the whole drive when you initially get it OR not.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n

« No estimated battery life in meter | No Network Access »